Galaxy formation and evolution
- Barred galaxies and secular evolution
- Active Galactic Nuclei
- Dwarf galaxies
- Integral-field and long-slit spectroscopy
- Stellar and gas kinematics
- Stellar population analysis, star formation histories
- 2D+3D photometric decomposition of stellar structures
- PhD in Astrophysics. Instituto de Astrofísica de Canarias + Universidad de La Laguna (Spain). 2012
- ✪ In my PhD thesis, Galaxies with multiple bars: constraints on their formation scenarios, I used integral-field and long-slit spectra to study in detail the stellar and gaseous content of double-barred galaxies. Double-barred galaxies are morphologically complicated disc galaxies hosting not only one, but two elongated stellar structures: the stellar bars. I discovered the σ-hollows, two local minima at both ends of inner bars within double-barred systems. The σ-hollows are kinematic signature of the presence of inner bars, sometimes hard to detect with photometry. For the first time, I explored the stellar populations in double-barred galaxies, finding that inner bars tend to be younger and more metal-rich than outer bars.
- ✪ International modality of the PhD. The thesis was evaluated by two international referees (Prof. Reynier Peletier and Dr. Enrico M. Corsini) besides the 5-member evaluating committee (Prof. John Beckman, Prof. Evencio Mediavilla, Dr. Patricia Sánchez-Blázquez, Dr. Inma Martínez-Valpuesta, and Prof. Victor P. Debattista) .
- BSc in Physics. Universidad de La Laguna (Spain). 2005
- ✪ First National Award in Physics BSc.
- ✪ ULL Extraordinary Award in Physics BSc.
- Universidad Complutense de Madrid (Spain). 2020-
- Universidad Complutense de Madrid (Spain). 2019-2020
- Instituto de Astrofísica de Canarias (Spain). 2017-2019
- Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México (Mexico). 2016-2017
- University of St Andrews (UK). 2016
- Universidad de Granada (Spain). 2015
- University of St Andrews (UK).2013-2015
- European Southern Observatory (ESO). Garching, Germany. 2018
- European Space and Technology Centre (ESTEC), European Space Agency (ESA). Leiden, The Netherlands. 2007
- Leiden Observatory. Leiden, The Netherlands. 2007
- BEARD: Bulgeless Evolution and the Rise of Discs.
- TIMER: Timer Inference with MUSE in Extragalactic Rings
- Composite Bulges
- AGN-STORM: Space Telescope Optical Reverberation Mapping
- CALIFA: Calar Alto Legacy Integral Field Area survey
- RAVET: Real And Virtual Early Type galaxies
Professional transfer of knowledge
★ Although my full name is Adriana de Lorenzo-Cáceres Rodríguez, I sign my publications as «de Lorenzo-Cáceres«
- More than 50 refereed publications (>3500 citations; Hirsch index h>25. Source: NASA/ADS)
- 2 invited talks in international conferences.
- 9 invited seminars and colloquia in international institutions.
- Timing the formation history of double-barred galaxies with the MUSE-TIMER project. European Southern Observatory (ESO; Germany). May 9, 2018
- Evolution of barred galaxies: the formation of double bars and the debate about bar stability. Scuola Internazionale Superiore di Studi Avanzati (SISSA; Italy). June 14, 2017
- First observational evidences for long-lived and growing bars. Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México. November 30, 2016
- Unveiling the nature of barred galaxies. Instituto Nacional de Óptica y Electrónica (INAOE; México). November 4, 2016
- Understanding galaxy formation and evolution from the perspective of (double-)barred galaxies. University of Stockholm (Sweden). February 26, 2016
- A deep view into double-barred galaxies. University of Nottingham (UK). September 25, 2013
- 24 oral contributions and 17 posters at international conferences
- ✪ In 2020, I delivered the course «Preparing and delivering specialised scientific talks: how to be expressive» within the «Be Loquacious» workshop organised by the Instituto de Astrofísica de Canarias. You can watch the 1-hour theoretical part of this course here.
Organisation of international conferences
- Dynamics of disc galaxies in the era of large surveys. Symposium at the European Week of Astronomy. Lyon (France), June 2019. SOC Co-chair
- Formation and evolution of bulge-less galaxies. Special session at the European Week of Astronomy. Lyon (France), June 2019. SOC Co-chair
- IAC «Day of Our Science». Tenerife (Spain), May 2019. SOC and LOC
- 2nd TIMER meeting. Tenerife (Spain), May 2019. LOC
- 7th CALIFA Busy Week. St Andrews (UK), June 2014. LOC
- RAVET Kick-off Project Meeting. Tenerife (Spain), January 2008. LOC
- IAU Symposium 241: Stellar Populations as Building Blocks of Galaxies. La Palma (Spain), December 2006. LOC
Scientific and institutional responsibilities
- Member of the Spanish Astronomical Society (SEA)
- Member of the European Astronomical Society (EAS)
- Member of the International Astronomical Union (IAU)
- Member of the SEA «Woman and Astronomy» Committee. 2015-
- Member of the Editorial Board of the SEA Magazine.
- Referee of observing proposals
- Referee of astronomy journals
- Former member of the Society of Spanish Researchers in UK (SRUK/CERU)
- Former member of the IAC «Seminars Organising Committee»